Black Dot Italian Velvet WovenMarcy Tilton Fabrics
PRICED AND SOLD BY THE 1/2 YARD
EXAMPLE: TO ORDER 2.5 YARDS ENTER 5 IN THE QUANTITY BOX
Classic black velvet in a beautiful quality from an Italian mill has overall subtle 1 1/4" embossed dots. Mid weight with a sumptuous hand, rich pile, soft drape, smooth on the back side. Right for a jacket, coat, vest, dress or skirt.
Sewing & Pressing Tips:
Take care every step of the way as you work, so you get the feel of working on the fabric upping your skills. Your ‘touch’ and how you handle the fabric make a big difference every step of the way.
- Mark with tailor’s tacks. I use embroidery thread for this as it does not pull out easily. Take one stitch through the fabric leaving 3⁄4” tails. One stitch only. Then gently separate the layers and clip the threads.
- OR...mark with a dressmaker’s pencil, making a dot at each marking. I lick the pencil to give it a bit more color and lasting power.
The biggest sewing challenge is to keep the fabric from shifting as you sew.
- My preferred method is to use a walking foot in combination with spray adhesive like 505 Spray.
- Cover your work surface with paper, and carefully mask off the seam allowance with paper.
- Spray a light consistent amount of spray within the seam allowance, then carefully line up the edges, right sides together and stitch. This is quick and works beautifully. It is a little known secret of couture houses that for years the seamstresses have relied on similar spray adhesives for just this purpose.
Pressing: Keep a light hand, use a LOT of steam, and use a clapper.
Dry clean. Always pre-test if you want to launder a fabric as different washing machines work differently. Always test a swatch first.