Black Silk Velvet WovenMarcy Tilton Fabrics
Stunning silk/rayon velvet, in a beautiful pitch black. With a sumptuous velvety surface, silky smooth back side, a luxurious hand and fluid drape. Cut for a nap. A workhorse fabric to dress up or down, right for a top, jacket, dress, skirt, cardigan, soft pants or coat. Great for a top to wear with jeans or a special occasion dress.
Sewing & Pressing Tips
- Mark with tailor’s tacks. I use embroidery thread for this as it does not pull out easily. Take one stitch through the fabric leaving 3⁄4” tails. One stitch only. Then gently separate the layers and clip the threads.
- OR...mark with a dressmaker’s pencil, making a dot at each marking. I lick the pencil to give it a bit more color and lasting power.
The biggest sewing challenge is to keep the fabric from shifting as you sew.
- My preferred method is to use a walking foot in combination with spray adhesive like 505 Spray.
- Cover your work surface with paper, and carefully mask off the seam allowance with paper.
- Spray a light consistent amount of spray within the seam allowance, then carefully line up the edges, right sides together and stitch. This is quick and works beautifully. It is a little known secret of couture houses that for years the seamstresses have relied on similar spray adhesives for just this purpose.
Pressing: Keep a light hand, use a LOT of steam, and use a clapper.
Pre-treat by machine wash/dry.
82% rayon/18% silk
PRICED BY THE ½ YARD