Taupe Embroidered Velvet WovenMarcy Tilton Fabrics
Luxuriate in this stunning cocoa brown velvet embroidered with flowers. From the studio stash of LA designer Johnny Was (as a favor to the supplier) I was very excited to be able to source this specialty fabric. With a sumptuous velvety surface, silky smooth back side, a soft hand (embroidery has a firm hand) and fluid drape. Cut for a nap. Dress it up or down; right for a top, jacket, dress, skirt, cardigan, soft pants or coat. Great for a top to wear with jeans or a special occasion dress.
Sewing & Pressing Tips
- Mark with tailor’s tacks. I use embroidery thread for this as it does not pull out easily. Take one stitch through the fabric leaving 3⁄4” tails. One stitch only. Then gently separate the layers and clip the threads.
- OR...mark with a dressmaker’s pencil, making a dot at each marking. I lick the pencil to give it a bit more color and lasting power.
The biggest sewing challenge is to keep the fabric from shifting as you sew.
- My preferred method is to use a walking foot in combination with spray adhesive like 505 Spray.
- Cover your work surface with paper, and carefully mask off the seam allowance with paper.
- Spray a light consistent amount of spray within the seam allowance, then carefully line up the edges, right sides together and stitch. This is quick and works beautifully. It is a little known secret of couture houses that for years the seamstresses have relied on similar spray adhesives for just this purpose.
Pressing: Keep a light hand, use a LOT of steam, and use a clapper.
Pre-treat by machine wash/dry.
PRICED & SOLD BY THE ½ YARD